Monday, August 15, 2011

Closing blog for Jim

July 31st
                Today we went to the Faira market so that I could experience a true authentic African market experience. Becky was our fearless leader, translator, and bargainer. It was interesting to see all of the cool stuff that was being sold. Some things seemed legit and authentic while others were obviously cheap rip offs. We had a lot of people trying to sell us stuff. We stuck out like a sore thumb. We got some cool stuff for our family and friends and I can’t wait to give them when we get back to the states.
August 3rd-August 10th
                From Wednesday the 3rd to the August 10th, Becky and I ran the child care for SIL conference week. Becky was in charge of planning crafts and Bible lessons and I planned games. A lot things did not go exactly how we planned though. The games I planned were for both big and little kids but most the big kids didn’t play the games with us so Becky and I ended up just thinking on our feet most of the time. Becky knew a lot more games for those kids so she kind of took over that but I was there to help.
                The kids were great most of the time. When they were out of control and didn’t listen, Becky would set things straight very quickly. There were a few kids that would be difficult and a little grumpy at times but they were the youngest ones and we figured out how to work with them.
All week we had fun things like paper airplane contests, group projects that the group would make a 3d model representation of a selected Psalm and other great things that Becky came up with and a few things that I suggested as well.
Every weekday we would sing songs in the morning then hear Becky’s message and then do coloring and puzzles. After tea we would have other activities then after lunch we would play games until 4:00 pm where we would let the kids have free time as they were now in the hands of their parents
During the weekend in between conference, we had a picnic at the site of their under construction primary school. That was a lot of fun and I enjoyed the site where they were building the school. On the way there I got to ride in the back of a truck, an experience that Becky and Leah said I had to have. Unfortunately one of the kids got car sick and threw up. I rode in my usual seat of Dave’s vehicle on the way back.
The rest of the week was a little tiring but Becky and I made it. Now we are getting ready to leave as soon as possible for Johannesburg. Becky and I are leaving the 15th on plane to head back to the States! It is kind of a little bittersweet, I am excited to go home but Africa has grown on me and I like being around Becky’s parents.  

No comments:

Post a Comment