Monday, July 11, 2011

Holiday club


So right now I am sitting on the compound where I spent 8 years of my life. But before I tell that story let’s back track two weeks.

Jim and I worked with my parent’s church doing a week of VBS, but they call it holiday club. It all started out the weekend before hand. We spent the nights with the other leaders. It was a great experience to get to know and be part of my parent’s church.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it wasn’t what I expected whatever that was. Going into the week most everyone knew each other; neither Jim nor I knew anyone else. It was interesting getting to know people over the weekend before we had any kids to work with. We were in a group with two other people; we worked with them on games. Over the course of the weekend we painted backdrops, planed games, and learned about God.

The leader of the week, the one who ran it all, was amazing! Her goal of the week was to feed into the lives of the leaders and help them in their walk with God.  Most of the leaders were between the ages 14 and 17. Part of her goal was to bring to life the reality of spiritual warfare. One of the nights it was evident that God was at work. It was amazing to see how the Spirit was working in people, the night had been intended for quite reflection put turned into us sinning praises to God and praying for those with struggles.

In regards to the actual children who were there they came during the day, and then they left, and then we planned for the next day and spent the night to start the days fresh. I worked with the grade R’s, in other words the kindergarteners.  The kids sent letters to leaders that they knew. I was a little discouraged because I didn’t get letters. By the end of the week I still hadn’t really gotten any letters, but I knew I was loved. On the last day a zoo came and displayed some things for the kids; by the end of the display I was sitting on the grass and I had 6 kids sitting on my lap, and one standing behind me because he didn’t want to sit on the grass because he was allergic. I wish that I could spend more time with those kids because then I could invest more in their life. I hope that I have influenced their lives as much as they have influenced mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment