Thursday, July 28, 2011

Friends or Family

Greetings everyone,
I realize it has been a while since we posted anything. We have been doing odds and end jobs around the training compound that I spent my teen years at. Last weekend Jim and I went with friends and my parents to the beach.  I have had the amazing blessing of being able to see old friends again. Jim and I were talking, and I was telling him about the people we were hanging out with. I told him how half the people around were people I had known for over half my life. I told him stories of people I have known since I was 5 years old. I pointed out the kids that I once baby sat. The kids who thought of me as a big sister, and who I though of as a little brother. All this to say, it got me thinking about friends and family.

Beach weekend with "family"
It is amazing the family that God has put into my life. I haven't lived with my parents in 6 years, since I was 15 years old. My older siblings all left home before that, so the people I call family aren't necessarily related to me by blood. From the time I was little I have been away from extended family, and so my aunts and uncles became those who lived around me at that time. I am constantly amazed at the "family" God has given me. No matter where I am, I am surrounded by people I can call family.

God's family is so much bigger than I can ever imagine and I am so thankful for that. My friends are people I have spend and shared my life with, and I am glad to call them family, because we are all Children of God, who has called us to be his own.

1 comment:

  1. Kent told me about seeing you all! I can't wait for my turn to be with you : ) God definitely has given more then we could ask for..Although It's not always easy having to say goodbye to so many. That's one thing I've always appreciated about you. You are so good at remembering and keeping up with those friendships and how much those people mean to you. Your whole family is like that!! I've been meaning to email you. Especially as I know it was your birthday this week! : ) Happy,happy day!! Praying for you both and the rest of your time in Africa!

    ReplyDelete